It's National Nutrition Month!
Arroz Con Pollo Chicken and Rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 chicken (whole, cut up, skin removed)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
2 1/4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
1 bay leaf
1 cup rice (uncooked)
1 cup peas
salt (to taste, optional)
pepper (to taste, optional)
1. In a large skillet heat oil and brown chicken on both sides.
2. Add green pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt pepper to taste.
4. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Add rice, stir well, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes longer, or until all liquid has been absorbed and chicken is tender.
6. Add peas, cook until hot.
1 pound ground beef, 90% lean (or ground turkey)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk, 1% (or non-fat)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Mix all ingredients, shape into balls (about 24 meatballs)
2. Arrange on baking sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Bake at 425°F for 12-15 minutes. It is best to use a food safety thermometer to check for doneness (it should read 160°F for ground beef and 165°F for ground turkey).
4. If meatballs are being saved for future use, chill rapidly; package in amounts needed per meal and freeze immediately.
4 cups pinto beans (cooked, or 2-15 ounce low sodium cans)
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese (reduced-fat)
1 tablespoon chili powder
8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
1. Place beans in a large bowl and mash coarsely with a fork or potato masher; stir in chili powder.
2. Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 45 seconds, or until tortillas are soft and warm.
3. Divide bean mixture among tortillas and spread down the center of tortilla. Sprinkle cheese on bean mixture.
4. Roll tortillas to enclose mixture.
5. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
6. Place enchiladas seam side down, into baking dish.
7. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.
8. Serve warm with salsa.
Eat Healthy and Stay Healthy with COMC
As we said earlier, here at our Lake of the Ozarks health clinics, we believe it is not just about what we do, but how we do it that makes all the difference. We care about our patients and we know how hard it can be to eat healthy all the time. We hope you enjoy these recipes!
Central Ozarks Medical Center
Keeping Lack of Insurance From Being a Roadblock to Quality Healthcare
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with us on LinkedIn
For Appointments Call
573.765.5141 -- Richland
573.302.7490 -- Osage Beach
573.346.4446 -- Camdenton
573.317.9200 -- Stone Castle
573.765.2510 -- Dental
Serving Camdenton, Laclede, Pulaski, and Miller Counties